We Understand Your Challenges
ABI Wellness has a deep understanding of the needs facing owners of small, often family-run private clinics with their staff of committed OTs, PTs and Assistants. We understand the distinct culture and connection with the community that you’ve developed. We understand the key challenges of serving brain injury patients within this context:
- Managing OT/PT workloads and the demand/needs of patients: Given the complexity and heavy caseloads for staff, ensuring that clinicians are supported in terms of workload and administration is essential for retaining talent and serving your clients effectively.
- Chronic brain injury patient retention and delivering best-in-practice assessments: Post-discharge, there are limited options to retain chronic brain injury clients through a care methodology that meets the integrated rehab needs of these individuals, while balancing resources and client expectations. In particular, clinicians find it challenging to identify a standardized, systemized approach to initial up-front assessments and brain injury care.
- Ensuring long-term financial sustainability and improvement on margins: Implementing integrated care for clients requires investments, while having to ensure that your services continue to be financially sustainable and providing the growth your business needs.
ABI Wellness licenses a unique and interdisciplinary four-pillar program that focuses on changing the brain to improve higher order cognitive and related behavioural functions during the post-acute phase of recovery. These four pillars – higher order cognitive rehabilitation, aerobic exercise, mindfulness and quality of life tracking – are recommended for individuals, age eight to end of life, experiencing acquired brain injuries as it emphasizes cognitive, physical and emotional healing.
Researchers at the University of British Columbia’s Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health have studied the impact of our program, using patients that live with traumatic brain injuries. The preliminary results revealed that the brain has an incredible capacity to change, adapt and grow through interdisciplinary programs that offer intervention and stimulation of existing cognitive functions.
The Four Pillars of ABI Wellness
Using the world-renowned BrainExTM program that focuses on higher order cognitive rehabilitation, ABI Wellness targets four areas of the brain that are responsible for executive functioning. Four exercises – Symbol Relations, Symbol Thinking, Nonverbal Thinking and Predicative Speech – help to restore a patient’s ability to organize, plan and set goals, in addition to building cognitive capacities in verbal memory, verbal retrieval, reasoning and enhancing overall self-awareness.
Research has proven that exercise and physical activity can regulate mood and anxiety in patients with brain injuries, so aerobic exercise plays a vital role in enhancing cognitive improvement. Aerobic exercise, as an integral part of ABI Wellness’s program, prepares the brain for more effective higher order cognitive rehabilitation, and studies have shown that aerobic exercise alone has been found to improve mood and executive functioning for patients with brain injuries.
Did you know that fatigue is often one of the longest-lasting symptoms of brain injury? Fatigue can impact an individual’s ability to function in daily life, but mindfulness has proven to reduce depressive symptoms, overall stress and fatigue in patients with traumatic brain injury. In addition to depressive symptoms, mindfulness can also decrease pain intensity and increase energy levels. Fully understanding all the benefits of mindfulness, ABI Wellness’s program includes 10-15 minutes of guided meditation each day.
interdisciplinary Health Tracking
Utilizing automated tools to deliver up-to-the-minute patient activity and satisfactory tracking, ABI Wellness’s focus is on interdisciplinary health through quality of life tracking, which allows facilitators to monitor changes in patients’ daily lives throughout treatment.
Why ABI Wellness? Benefits to Private Clinics
- Streamlined workloads, with reduced administration for OTs/PTs and clinic owners: Through ABI’s on-demand reporting, structured programming and improved client-to-clinician ratio, ABI will significantly streamline workloads and put the focus back on client interaction and care.
- Systemized, end-to-end programming for TBI and ABI needs: Through ABI’s tested model of care, you will be provided with a clear system to intake, and work with patients, effectively balancing the four-pillar approach to care. This systemized approach enables increased clarity in delivering care that meets best practices and manages the needs of clients.
- Save up to 30-40% in labour and administrative costs, and significantly improve margins: Through the improved patient-to-clinician ratio and on-demand, automated reporting, we will significantly reduce labour per patient, while improving the quality of care provided, resulting in an opportunity for improved revenue and profitability for your business.
ABI Wellness delivers evidence-based interventions through a state-of-the-art tablet platform. The software is easy to use and all cognitive exercises are completed in combination with professional support. We offer half-day, part-time, symbol relations cognitive enhancement programs, as well as program facilitator training, certification, counselling and speaking engagements.
This program is a comprehensive approach to addressing cognitive deficits through cognitive training, aerobic exercise, mindfulness practice and holistic health tracking.
Based on each client’s learning profile, an individualized program of targeted exercises is designed to address four cognitive areas involved in reasoning, memory, executive functioning, attention and planning.
Half-Day clients must spend a minimum of four 40-minute periods per day on cognitive exercises at the program site, with a minimum aggregate of three hours and 20 minutes per cognitive exercise each week (comprising of one 40-minute period per day for five days a week).
Half-day clients undergo updated assessments after six months for the cognitive areas addressed in that period.
The half-day program is the most comprehensive way to address cognitive deficits following a brain injury. But some individuals can’t make that commitment.
Clients in the part-time program address two cognitive areas. Each client must spend a minimum of two 40-minute periods per day on cognitive exercises at the program site, with a minimum aggregate of three hours and 20 minutes per cognitive exercise each week (comprising of two 40-minute periods per day for five days a week).
It is recommended that clients participate in a 30-minute period of aerobic exercise the day before cognitive training.
Symbol Relations Cognitive Enhancement Program
This program provides cognitive enhancement to participants in the symbol relations cognitive function and specifically benefits individuals with acquired brain injury.
The symbol relations cognitive function is involved in processing concepts – including understanding what we read and hear, logical reasoning, seeing connections between ideas, cause and effect processing and mathematical reasoning.
Clients in the symbol relations cognitive enhancement program must spend a minimum of four to six hours per week on the cognitive exercise at the program site.
“ABI Wellness’s program provides hope where there is little and provides gains where they are not expected. I wholeheartedly believe that this program can change lives of people recovering from a brain injury, and in turn, improve the lives of family and friends who support the recovery of their loved one. By helping to improve higher order cognitive functioning, it re-establishes connections in the brain that have been altered, thus allowing the brain to function in a way that is more efficient. Once the brain can work more efficiently, the potential of our patients can better align with their expectations and capabilities.”
– Josh Poirier, Executive Director, Watson Centre Society for Brain Health
Contact us today to find out more about our programs.
Need a quick answer?
Give us a call:
604-299-4734 / 1 833-414-8958